Represent numbers by placing counters inside of five-, ten-, double ten-, and custom frames.
The Number Frames app helps students structure numbers to 5, 10, 20, and 100. Students use the frames to count, represent, compare, and compute with numbers in a particular range.
The frames help students see quantities as equal groups of other quantities and in relation to benchmark quantities. This helps primary students move away from one-by-one counting and toward more efficient ways of counting and computing. As students advance, custom frames can be constructed to help visualize factors, products, fractional parts, and more.
This virtual version of the manipulative is an open-ended educational tool, ideal for elementary classrooms and other learning environments that use laptops, iPads, or Chromebooks.
- Use standard five-, ten-, double ten-, and hundred-frames, or create custom frames up to 12 × 12.
- Choose from a variety of counter styles and colors.
- Drag single counters — or stacks of 5 and 10 — into frames or onto the workspace.
- Apply a grid to frames to emphasize every 5th line and reinforce counting.
- Share your work by saving an image or creating an 8-character code and link to send to others.
Technical Support and Feedback
These apps were crafted by Clarity Innovations: “We improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education.” For app support and feedback, contact them at www.clarity-innovations.com/apps.
© 2021 The Math Learning Center